Thank you for choosing to look into the windows of my mind, heart, and soul. I hope the views are inviting.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Rosalee the Robin

Please meet my new friend, Rosalee the Robin.


She and her husband, Robert, completed their nest in the kitchen window sill of my home. If I stand in front of my door, I could reach out and touch the nest, it is so close! I have been rather concerned that Rosalee would either attack me when I come and go from my house, or would abandon the nest on account of the distrubance of a human presence. Alas, I am thrilled to announce, Rosalee has staked her claim to the nest, watched me very carefully as I walk down my front stairs, and has resisted attacking me!

Here's a close up of Rosalee. She is a a beautiful bird.

And...she is the proud mother of FOUR, soon to be hatched, baby robins. I did a short search on robins and their eggs. If you are interested in some very user friendly information about this common, but very lovely, bird you can go to THIS SITE.

Basically, from that site I learned that robins typically lay only four eggs. An egg a day. I think Rosalee finished laying her eggs about last Wednesday (three days ago), perhaps. I learned that they incubate the eggs for about 12-14 days. I look forward to sharing the first pictures of her hatchlings in a little over a week from now.

Here's a glimpse of Rosalee's clutch.
Aren't they cute! Ok, well at least I think the color of the eggs is stunning. What an interesting color. Where else in nature can you find that shade of blue? Again, out of my curiosity for this amazing canvas God has painted called NATURE, I looked up some information about the color of a robin's egg. Coloration of eggs (and evidently there is a wide spectrum of colors in which bird eggs occur) is created from the hemoglobin in the blood of the bird. It creates the pigment as red blood cells rupture in the mother bird as she lays the egg. Birds who lay colored eggs often have predators that are color blind. The robin's eggs blend into the nest when the color blind predator peers in! Brilliant!

Evidently, from my research, many other people have had close encounters with robin nests. The advice I read from others who have lived in close proximity of a protective robin mother's nest indicated that the greatest risk of being dive-bombed really is only in the days right before the eggs hatch. One expert suggested making eye contact with the bird and carrying a balloon or broom above your head, as the bird will go for what it thinks is the top of your head. I don't think you'll catch me walking up and down my front steps with a balloon every day! I think I'll risk it! (of course my tune may change the first time I get attacked on my head!)

I have looked Rosalee directly in the eyes as I pass by her comfy residence into mine. I speak gently to her and go my own way. I'll keep you updated!

3 Comments:

Blogger Blythe Lane said...

That's really cool. Love the pics. I hope she doesn't attack you! It did happen to some other friends of mine. :-)

10:32 PM

 
Blogger Jill Pole said...

How's the nest doing?? I love that you have robin's eggs. (The chickees get REALLY loud once they hatch, but it is so fun to watch them grow up...until they fly away...) Maybe momma bird will come back next year. :-)

4:54 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Oh, I love it! How sweet. When they hatch can I come by a look at them through the kitchen window? Yea! Babies! :)
It's really spring!

10:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home