Thank you for choosing to look into the windows of my mind, heart, and soul. I hope the views are inviting.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Goodbye...Hello


This the eve of my birthday.

I have several things rattling aroung in my noggin today. I think I would like to make a list of the things I have lost and gained this year. Then tomorrow I will make a list of things I am hoping will happen in the next year of life.





Things I have lost
---with the post-script that I believe NOTHING can be fully lost. Even loss will have some redemptive element within it:

1. My masked view of my past. Looking at things with someone and naming those experiences for what they
really were is a painful freedom involving both loss and gain.

2. Two dear friendships.

3. More than 10 pounds. Thank you Weight Watchers!

4. The contents of my garage due to an intentional clean sweep.

5. Rumsey my pet bunny who died this summer after 9 years of being cared for by me, and Babs the butterfly who left home to live the life she had been waiting for!


Things I have gained:

1. A wonderful roomate for three months. Very redemptive!

2. New dreams and passions. Namely, I have new ideas brewing in my head and heart regarding things I
want to do and accomplish with my teaching, my business, and future creative endeavors.

3. A renewed sense of direction regarding the pursuit to be debt free in a year.

4. A life changing experience shared with the Indonesian people and my teammates.

5. A tiny, tiny, tiny interest in writing my thoughts down (like in this blog). Like a burning ember.

6. Perspective to see the end of the journey toward my Master's Degree in Education. This perspective led to
the needed committment to see it through.

7. An fruition of a dream and an amazing small business that encompasses so much of my potential. It came with a road trip with a dear friend. The business makes delightful fun for many and many delightful memories
for me.

8. A small, and growing ever smaller, number of people who want to walk with me through anything. I'm grateful
for them.

9. A new pair of black pants that both feel and look good.

10. Several new friends/aquaintances--about five come to mind immediately.

11. Two really enjoyable student teachers with whom I shared my life, students, and classroom.

12. Three separate individuals who gave me gifts that actually sustained me through three separate droughts.

13. Much more clarity about who I am. When I look really honestly at who I am, and I ask others who know me what they see...I really do see amazing value in who I am. Reason enough to celebrate tomorrow!

3 Comments:

Blogger Eaglewing said...

Hmmm, I see no comments yet, so I'll stick my nose in and back out again just to say Happy Birthday - hope its a good year ahead for you!

2:21 PM

 
Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Happy Birthday!!! I'm just sitting here at a little cafe in Santa Fe and was sharing your fun idea with a good friend. We love it! We especially love the idea that nothing is loss in our lives...

4:38 PM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

Yea! Happy Birthday, friend! I'm so thankful for your life and all the things that you don't even see that bring delight to those around your life. There's definitely reason to celebrate!

4:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home