Thank you for choosing to look into the windows of my mind, heart, and soul. I hope the views are inviting.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Elizabethtown Road Trip

I watched the movie, ELIZABETHTOWN, tonight with a few friends. The first thing I will say is, if you want an amazing soundtrack, I imagine this one's a winner. I really liked the movie as an integrated whole. My favorite partof the movie is how the significance of road trips is worked into the story line. A road trip is given by one friend to another. She didn't go with him on the road trip, per se, but she made his road trip happen. She made it meaningful with a handmade map, interactive no less, where every moment of the trip had purpose with thoughts to ponder, places to visit, people to meet, and songs burnt on CDs for each turn in the road. It reminded me of the discussion I had with a couple of friends about the idea of PILGRIMAGE. What would it look like to go on a pilgrimage? What would an actual spiritual pilgrimage look like today for a community of Christians? To me, it would look alot like the road trip in this movie. Drew, the main character, rediscovers and discovers life on this trip. He was both alone, and accompanied by his friend. Hmmmm...you'll have to watch it to understand what I mean. I wish I had one of those handmade road maps. What an amazing gift!

The movie also scored bonus points with me when Drew's friend included OKC (my humble childhood abode) into the important places to stop. On his road trip, Drew went by the round barn located in Arcadia, Oklahoma...just a hop-skip-and-a-jump from my house.

As Drew continued on the road trip, he began to reorganize his view of failure, disappointment, death, dreams deferred, and survival in life. One such moment occurs as he approached the Survivor Tree located at the Oklahoma City National Memorial for the bombing victims of April 19, 1995.When I visited the memorial the first time, I was most struck by this tree myself. It is a 100-year-old American elm that was the sole surviving tree across the street from the destroyed building. This amazing tree holds a story, stands as a living witness, and continues to grow with the message of resilience and hope. You should take a road trip there if you haven't already.

The final message of the movie, spoken by a renewed Drew, is "No true fiasco ever began as a quest for mere adequacy. The motto of the British Special Air Service is, 'Those who risk, win.'* A single green vine shoot is able to grow through cement. The Pacific Northwestern salmon beats itself bloody on its quest to travel hundreds of miles upstream. Against the current...with a single purpose...life."
*Side note...the movie got it wrong evidently. The official motto of the SAS is actually "Who Dares Wins." Crazy Americans translating English wrong!
**Double side note...if you have never checked out the links on the sidebar of this blog, please do. The one called ROUND AMERICA is about a couple's road trip across America.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jill Pole said...

Okay, now I really need to see this one. You are so good for me. Reminding me of films I missed and recommending new ones I haven't heard about. Thanks!

9:14 PM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

You are always so good about putting words to things that I experience myself. I resonated with the beauty in the film of offering a dream, freedom, inspiration to another. I think the thought of receiving such a thoughtful, soul-searching gift like that would blow me away. That receiving thing is hard huh?

11:45 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

I have several thoughts.
I too love this movie, although as I was watching it I often thought, "Woah, this girl is crazy or confusing or something..."
In the end I thought, huh...she's kind of amazing and mysterious. I don't want to be just like her, but I would like to learn to be more of a mystery.

I also enjoyed watching his journey of emotions and getting in touch with places in him that he hadn't thought about before or some he had avoided. What a challenging, difficult, rewarding roadtrip. A true gift.

Just now I thought, "I think God gives us a 'roadtrip' a journey that is maybe like the gift in the movie. How come I don't always see my "roadtrip" with him in the beautiful way I see the roadtrip in this movie?" Huh?

I think I just "blogged" on your comment page. Opps, sorry about that.

Thanks for your thoughts...you got me thinking....

12:28 AM

 
Blogger alethea said...

Ahhhh...such great conversations about this movie! Thanks for engaging my thoughts.

Receiving, yeah, not easy.

Correnta, so glad you blogged on my blog :) Your reflection really brings it full circle. We have been given a roadtrip here in this life, a personalized roadmap, music for the journey, and all of these mysterious people and places to discover. We will discover true life on this journey.

Thanks to all of you for meeting me at this "four way stop" and chatting for a minute!

8:26 AM

 
Blogger Blythe Lane said...

You guys are just the coolest. All of your thoughts on life make me smile.

I've not seen this movie yet (wanted to but another friend's review discouraged me from it) and had no idea Elizabethtown offered such unique thoughts on life. Will definitely watch it now.

9:13 AM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Hey friend, guess what, I was hit number 800 on your blog today, can I have a free snow cone for that?
:)

9:06 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice movie, I saw it yesterday night, and a great review, man! :)
cheerz!!

3:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home