Thank you for choosing to look into the windows of my mind, heart, and soul. I hope the views are inviting.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Paths Through The Prairie

I just want to give you a window into one of my favorite things to do recently. I love to walk out at the KONZA PRAIRIE. I actually have not walked the trail that gets close to the bison, but I love this picture nonetheless. What amazing creatures. They look kind of prehistoric, don't they?

The landscape of the prairie is such a dichotomy: gentle shades of lighting, soft colors, rolling edges of earth, delicate grasses bending under the weight of a breeze...warm, inviting.

Yet, there are enormous limestone rocks being "birthed" from the dirt womb, mile long shevles carved by harsh edges of ice, cutting into tender earth to the very marrow of sturdy limestone hidden beneath, exposed surfaces burned by the sun and dried by the wind, very few places to hide or seek refuge.

I love the paths. There are three trails for the hiker to choose from. I usually just do the 2.5 mile trail. Yesterday, I opted to add a few miles to the hike and went the middle path, 4 miles. I loved standing on the crest of the limestone studded hills and looking at the path that stretched below.

I sort out alot of life standing on the two-foot wide grey path, looking out to the endless landscape of the prairie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home