Thank you for choosing to look into the windows of my mind, heart, and soul. I hope the views are inviting.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Water and Rest


What is it about the movement of water that inspires me to stop and rest? I'm on my way to Minnesota for five days. I'll be staying at a cabin on a lake. My preference for water vacations is actually the ocean, but I don't think you will be hearing me complain while I am enjoying the lapping waters of this lake on my legs as I sit on the dock! A recent discovery has been the thrill-seeking, full-tilt, need for speed enjoyment from jet skiing. I absolutley love the feeling of skimming over the surface of the water and feeling the spray hit my face. Another favorite is kayaking on a perfectly still morning or evening, the boat cutting through glass as I make my way toward a vibrant sun sitting on the edge of the earth. It is interesting that a body of water can provide two very different experiences. I'll take them all!

I look forward to actually starting and completing at least one book while I am there. When I am not in or on the water, I will be laying on a gigantic round intertube thingy (usually used in the water, but I pull it up in the yard by the lake) reading in the shade. I love the limited lifestyle of reading a few pages, taking a sip on my diet pepsi, rolling over, closing my eyes, napping for 15 minutes with the breeze chasing over me, opening my eyes and reading some more... ahhhh. Other than the full body massage I got last week, that scenario sounds as close to heaven as I can create here on earth.

Hope you guys back in the landlocked portions of this country can get to the water soon!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jill Pole said...

Okay girl - you've got to spill...when and where did you get a massage and CAN I GET ONE TOO?????? :-) :-) Did you get a book read on the lake? It sounds like heaven...

8:45 PM

 
Blogger alethea said...

I didn't get a whole book completed, but I did begin THE LIFE OF PI. I ended up doing crossword puzzles more than reading! Still the life of luxury :) Massage...we'll talk...I will be ready to make my second appointment soon!

11:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alethea,
Your writings feel like a gentle, warm breeze. I too love the water and nature and felt an immediate connection to your writing. I would have loved to hear more about "remeberance". I have a feeling you have much more to say on that subject. Where does your name, Alethea, come from?

2:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write beautifully. I love the water, too. My sister, Chris, and I are vacationing this year at the Lake of the Ozarks in October.

4:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your description of lounging by the lake brought back memories for me of a day at Seaside, Oregon that my wife and I enjoyed two summers ago. (If you have ever seen the movie "the Goonies" you have seen the coastline that we experienced.) We napped on the white sand, warmed by the air from rock and tall coastal grass, and soaked in the cool breeze that had traveled thousands of miles across the Pacific to pass over us like the smile of an old friend. Rest is so important and most of us have no great pattern to follow for our lives. I wonder how we can sow rest back into our everyday, I wonder how we could form friendships that create time and space for restoration. Thanks for sharing your scene.

6:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home