Thank you for choosing to look into the windows of my mind, heart, and soul. I hope the views are inviting.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Hole and a Friend

The other day I was really lonely. It was a day like many others. I asked a friend if I could just be around her. She invited me in (she jumped in). While in her presence, we watched several episodes of THE WEST WING. In episode #32 Noël, Leo tells Josh the following story:

"This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out.

"A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, 'Hey you. Can you help me out?' The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on.

"Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, 'Father, I'm down in this hole can you help me out?' The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on.

"Then a friend walks by, 'Hey, Joe, it's me can you help me out?' And the friend jumps in the hole.

Our guy says, 'Are you stupid? Now we're both down here.' The friend says, 'Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out.'"
===============
The priest, the doctor...well meaning prayers and fix-it solutions---been there done that. There are plenty of people willing to peek down at me out of interest, and throw something in from afar.

The friend in the story who jumped in...Wow! That's love. That's presence. I need that.

Have you been in the hole before? Do you know the way out? I'll trust you to help me find the way out. I trust that we could find the way out together. Open invitation to anyone who has found him/herself in a deep, dark place alone and gotten out by God's grace. I need you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

Thanks for the images and reminder of tragedy and how God uses something like the tsunami to open doors, release captives, and awaken souls. Not only are those things true for the Ache people, but for you and I and all the others who gave and served.

11:09 AM

 
Blogger Jill Pole said...

Hey girl - I'm jumpin' in the hole. We can find our way out with Jesus...

11:20 AM

 
Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Wow. Yes, that hole. Been on the receiving end of the "well meaning prayers and fix-it solutions." Would MUCH rather someone jump in the hole with me and help me find the way out. Hey, thanks for stopping by My Little Corner of the World! Your words were an encouragement. Hope you don't mind me stopping in on you too...

9:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home